[peruser] Patch for busy servers

Dave Steinberg dave-peruser at redterror.net
Tue Jan 4 09:11:46 MST 2011

On 1/4/2011 10:30 AM, Janno Sannik wrote:
> Graceful seems to be really broken.
> after 4 days of use we have ~100 000 lines in error_log stating:
> [Sat Jan 01 23:12:52 2011] [warn] long lost child came home! (pid 32616).
> This happens right after graceful restart.
>
> The new peruser was installed 31 dec. and graceful restart was done few
> hours later. 4 days later there were no new graceful restarts or regular
> restarts.
> Yesterday the apache hung and wasn't responding anymore.
>
> We have ~150 vhosts.

I'm seeing this as well, with the V3 patch on FreeBSD 7.  I am
transitioning to using mpm-peruser still, I have around around 5 server
environments, one with ~1000 vhosts (handled by mod_vhost_alias), and ~4
vhosts in their own individual server environments.

I'm also seeing some segfaults, but I haven't dug in enough yet to see
where they're coming from.  Does anybody have any advice on tracking
that down?

PS - Great work on the patches, despite these problems, things appear to
be generally working well.

Regards,
--
Dave Steinberg