[peruser] mailing list

Finn Thain fthain at telegraphics.com.au
Sun Aug 30 01:44:37 MDT 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Ben Kennedy wrote:

> Sean Gabriel Heacock wrote at 11:25 AM (-0600) on 8/29/09:
>
> >Now that we have forums set up at peruser.org, we're considering
> >discontinuing the mailing list.  I've set up a poll on the main page
> >where you can vote on whether we should keep it or not.
>
> Since I'm a lurker and not an active participant, my vote is
> inconsequential, but I will voice for the record that I loathe web-based
> "forums" and so I voted (anonymously) in favour of the mailing list.

FWIW, I agree. One inbox is much more efficient than a multitude of web
sites (a web forum for every project that I follow would be a nightmare).

But if telena is to be relieved of the burden of hosting the project,
perhaps it would be possible to host the project on apache.org or at least
use a mailing list there for patch submission and review?

But if you were to run a list serv, you could archive the list on google
groups, gmane, MARC etc. for free and get other advantages of forums. And
I think that, for end users, a wiki would serve better than a forum.

Much kudos to everyone who has volunteered their time and infrastructure
to the cause, but the goal IMHO should be to merge the module upstream,
and avoid all that.

I wonder whether distributed SCM could be useful for the peruser module or
not, and whether or not a branch in the upstream repo could be made
available by that project in order to help out this one?

Regards,
Finn