[peruser] Problem with mpm-peruser conf.d reading

cal at foxwhisper.co.uk cal at foxwhisper.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 18:59:22 MDT 2009

Hi guys,

After 2 HOURS of debugging, it would appear I have finally traced down a
problem. Whenever
you put your configuration in a conf.d file, mpm-peruser seems to have a
really bad bitch
fit about it. It ends up reading in random lines from other conf.d files,
such as
ports.conf :O I get stuff like:

[Fri Aug 14 01:01:30 2009] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: chdir:
unable to change
to directory: Listen
[Fri Aug 14 01:27:38 2009] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: chdir:
unable to change
to directory: Listen
[Fri Aug 14 01:28:23 2009] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: chdir:
unable to change
to directory: Listen
[Fri Aug 14 01:37:28 2009] [warn] (peruser: pid=3192 uid=0 child=1)
peruser_setup_child():
chdir to Listen
[Fri Aug 14 01:37:28 2009] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: chdir:
unable to change
to directory: Listen

:O

So, I moved the config from conf.d/peruser into apache2.conf, and it works
absolutely
perfectly.. Now, considering the conf.d files are only includes for apache,
I would guess
that this is something to do with the way mpm-peruser grabs its config
settings.

What ends up happening, is that it doesn't read its config properly, and as
such:

static const char *cf_Multiplexer(cmd_parms *cmd, void *dummy,
    const char *user_name, const char *group_name, const char *chroot)
{
senv.chroot     = chroot

That doesn't get set properly, thus the whole thing just screws up. Also -
if one
environment has a problem, or if its child dies unexpectedly, then so do
all the others.
Also - if you misconfigure the thing, it just seg faults lol.

I'm planning on fixing a whole bunch of these problems, or at least make it
not seg fault
and give usable error messages lol, then submit as a patch and pray/hope
the maintainer
merges them into the trunk :)

Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone who has had similar issues!

Regards

Cal Leeming
aka foxx