[peruser] Problem with the ap_wait_or_timeout function

Sean Gabriel Heacock gabriel at telana.com
Fri Sep 28 01:55:41 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 22:16 +0300, Alex Guerra wrote:
> I´ve been using peruser since the last month on a busy server with 700
> virtual hosts.  Sometimes it seems that apache stops to respond, even
> a daily restart does not help.

Are you running more than one multiplexer process?  It's pretty easy to
tie up an apache process by connecting to port 80 and never sending a
request, but with vanilla apache it's not much of a problem since every
process handles incoming requests.  But with only one multiplexer in
peruser, everything grinds to a halt.  Fortunately you can run several
multiplexers, just by adding extra Multiplexer <user> <group> lines to
your httpd.conf:

Multiplexer nobody nobody
Multiplexer nobody nobody
Multiplexer nobody nobody

I've been running with three of them, and apache only locks up about
once a month now, or less.  Hopefully this solves your problem too.