[peruser] peruser keepalive support

Sean Gabriel Heacock gabriel at telana.com
Tue Sep 11 20:07:50 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 11:57 +0300, Janno Sannik wrote:
> And about performane: it is noticeably faster :)

I did a few test with apachebench on my test machine.  Five concurrent
requests with a five minute timeout, to a .txt file containing the text
"Hello World".  Apache is configured with a MaxKeepAlive of 100.

KeepAlive off: 210340 requests
KeepAlive on:  309369 requests

That's an increase of 47% if I did my math right, though it's not a very
realistic benchmark.

I also tested it through the Pound proxy, if anyone else is running a
setup similar to mine.

w/Pound, KeepAlive off: 134499 requests
w/Pound, KeepAlive on:  262078 requests

This makes a significant difference with Pound, a 15% performance hit
compared to directly connecting to apache; with KeepAlive off, it's
about 34%.  Enabling KeepAlive with the new patch improves the
performance of Pound+Apache by a whopping 95% (according to this
simplistic benchmark anyway).