[peruser] file descriptor 1078 is too large

Sean Gabriel Heacock gabriel at telana.com
Thu Apr 27 16:36:16 MDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 13:43 +0100, Charlie Creed wrote:
> Recently I have started to get this error message:
> [Sun Apr 23 13:34:26 2006] [warn] new file descriptor 1078 is too large;
> you probably need to rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE (currently
> 1024)
>
> I know what this means but shouldn't it be killing the old file
> descriptors to make room for the new ones?

There have been problems in the past where sockets weren't closed after
a graceful restart, causing more and more file descriptors to be
allocated and never released.  This shouldn't be a problem anymore
though.  Still, peruser seems to use a lot of file descriptors, very
possibly more than it really needs to.  I haven't looked into that yet;
in the meantime I suggest raising FD_SETSIZE (in linux it's set
in /usr/include/linux/posix_types.h) and recompile, and also probably
put "ulimit -n 8192" (or whatever limit you decide on) in apachectl or
your init.d script.  Which you've probably done already :)