[peruser] Permission denied: mod_rewrite

Karsten Schmidt gugge at guggemand.dk
Tue Jul 12 12:26:46 MDT 2005

Leen Besselink wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:59:23AM -0600, Sean Gabriel Heacock wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 19:52 +0200, Karsten Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>>Im testing peruser on my FreeBSD 5.4 box, with apache 2.0.54
>>>
>>>everything seems to work fine, but i get this in my error log the first
>>>time i access a site, running as another user than my www user
>>>
>>>[crit] (13)Permission denied: mod_rewrite: could not init rewrite log
>>>lock in child
>>
>>Yeah, I vaguely recall running into this a while back.  It's trying to
>>create a file after the setuid and chroot calls are made, and the user
>>apache becomes doesn't have access, and/or the directory doesn't exist
>>inside the chroot jail.  If you turn off RewriteLog that goes away,
>>although you won't have a rewrite log anymore.
>>

>>>also it seems to take around 1 second to start the httpd processes the
>>>first time i access a site
>>
>>This is due to the dynamic startup of apache processes.  Eventually I'll
>>probably add an option to specify how many processes to start up and
>>keep running.  So far none of my users have noticed the delay, though.
>>

> What could also be the problem is that peruser might use more getuid, getgid calls and
> Karsten Schmidt uses NFS- or database (SQL/LDAP)- backed PAM or similair ?
>
> Other reasons for slow apache startup could be DNS (if you also manage it's caching DNS-server you might wanna look in the logs, if it's more then normal or slow/whatever).

Its just a test box, nothing else than the standard apache is installed,
and if i compile it without the peruser mpm i dont have the 1 second delay

i think its just the process starting that takes the time, i dont think
anyone will notice the slight delay, but ill setup a few testsites and
see if anyone notices :)

--
Karsten Schmidt