[peruser] Permission denied: mod_rewrite

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Tue Jul 12 12:09:36 MDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:59:23AM -0600, Sean Gabriel Heacock wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 19:52 +0200, Karsten Schmidt wrote:
> > Im testing peruser on my FreeBSD 5.4 box, with apache 2.0.54
> >
> > everything seems to work fine, but i get this in my error log the first
> > time i access a site, running as another user than my www user
> >
> > [crit] (13)Permission denied: mod_rewrite: could not init rewrite log
> > lock in child
>
> Yeah, I vaguely recall running into this a while back.  It's trying to
> create a file after the setuid and chroot calls are made, and the user
> apache becomes doesn't have access, and/or the directory doesn't exist
> inside the chroot jail.  If you turn off RewriteLog that goes away,
> although you won't have a rewrite log anymore.
>
> > also it seems to take around 1 second to start the httpd processes the
> > first time i access a site
>
> This is due to the dynamic startup of apache processes.  Eventually I'll
> probably add an option to specify how many processes to start up and
> keep running.  So far none of my users have noticed the delay, though.

What could also be the problem is that peruser might use more getuid, getgid calls and
Karsten Schmidt uses NFS- or database (SQL/LDAP)- backed PAM or similair ?

Other reasons for slow apache startup could be DNS (if you also manage it's caching DNS-server you might wanna look in the logs, if it's more then normal or slow/whatever).

Those are some things that I could think of.