[peruser] Permission denied: mod_rewrite

Sean Gabriel Heacock gabriel at telana.com
Tue Jul 12 11:59:23 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 19:52 +0200, Karsten Schmidt wrote:
> Im testing peruser on my FreeBSD 5.4 box, with apache 2.0.54
>
> everything seems to work fine, but i get this in my error log the first
> time i access a site, running as another user than my www user
>
> [crit] (13)Permission denied: mod_rewrite: could not init rewrite log
> lock in child

Yeah, I vaguely recall running into this a while back.  It's trying to
create a file after the setuid and chroot calls are made, and the user
apache becomes doesn't have access, and/or the directory doesn't exist
inside the chroot jail.  If you turn off RewriteLog that goes away,
although you won't have a rewrite log anymore.

> also it seems to take around 1 second to start the httpd processes the
> first time i access a site

This is due to the dynamic startup of apache processes.  Eventually I'll
probably add an option to specify how many processes to start up and
keep running.  So far none of my users have noticed the delay, though.