[peruser] New potential user of peruser : some questions

Sean Gabriel Heacock gabriel at telana.com
Sun Jul 3 04:17:06 MDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 12:08 +0200, Pascal - Carat-Hosting.com wrote:
> All my box use httpd 2.0.54 and not 2.0.52, is it very difficult to
> change the patch to apply it on a 2.0.54 ?
> I think it is possible as it is only a minor release, but as I don't
> know exactly what does the peruser patch I ask you before

I think there is a change in 53 or 54 that breaks something.  Upgrading
to the latest version of apache and making sure peruser is next on my
todo list.

> Did someone test it and/or use it in a production environment ?
> On some boxes I have more than 100 vhost.
> Did you see some performance impact ?

I run it on my production server, with about 100 domains.  My setup is
extremely dependent on the features provided by peruser, so I can't
compare it directly to a vanilla apache setup.  But I don't think
there's any noticeable performance impact, at least with the current
version.

However, I don't recommend running it on a production system yourself,
at least without *significant* testing first.  The peruser mpm comes
with absolutely no warranty!

> Does the release of Peruser is in stable state ?

No, I'd call it alpha right now :)

> I know that I should test it and see by myself, it's true that do a
> compilation of httpd is not so difficult, it just takes time.
> But I'd like to have the opinion of existing user of peruser.

It works for me, but I wrote it :)  The main problem seems to be in
getting your httpd.conf exactly right.  Hopefully as long as you go off
of the example configuration on the web page, it should work okay.